Additional sights in Warsaw
Plac Bankowy - Bankowy Square
Warsaw’s Bankowy Square dates back to 1825. It is directly located at Metro Ratusz Arsenal which is the recommended transit point for getting to the Old Town, so it is no problem to stroll around for a few minutes before taking the bus or tram to head towards the Royal Castle. The name of the square comes from the fact that several of the houses here had hosted financial institutions in the past. The Bank of Poland, the Stock Exchange and the Treasury used to be here. Nowadays the City Council and the President of Warsaw use the buildings as well as the John Paul II Art Collection.
On the other side of the street one can see the Blue Tower which was opened back in 1991. It is located exactly where the Great Synagogue used to be before it was blown up in World War II.
Also worth seeing is the early baroque Arsenal which now hosts the Museum of Archeology. To the north there is Mostowski Palace which was already built in the 1760s and is now the headquarter of the Warsaw Police.
Furthermore we can find two monuments here: the Slowacki (Polish poet) Monument and the Starzynski (former City President) Monument .
Plac Teatralny - Theatre Square
The main attraction here is the Nationaltheatre / Grand Theatre - National Opera (Teatr Wielki - Opera Narodowa) which was constructed between 1825 and 1833. Besides the Nationaltheatre and the National Opera the Ballet and the Theatre Museum is also located inside the building.
On the other side of the street you will see Jablonowski Palace from 1785, which was the City Hall in former times. It had been reconstructed at the end of the 90s and now hosts financial institutions. Next to it is the Blank Palace, which was owned by a banker called Blank. On the other side of the former City Hall is the latest reconstructed building in this area, St. Andrew’s Church.
Close to Warsaw’s Plac Teatralny Ulica Senatorska has some further outstanding buildings like Prymasowski Palace (Senatorska 13/15), St. Anthony of Padua Church (Senatorska 31), Blue Palace (Senatorska 37) and Mniszech Palace (Senatorska 38).
Plac Krasińskich - Krasinski Square
The first thing that usually catches the attention of visitors is the baroque 17th century Krasinski Palace, at the back of it is a small but very beautiful park. The square used to be one of the main places for dealing with all sorts of goods.
In 1989 the Warsaw Uprising Monument was erected here exactly on the 45th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising. It is located directly next to the Supreme Court and opposite of the Cathedral of the Polish Army.
Further attractions in Warsaw
St. Alexander’s Church (Plac Trzech Krzyży - Three Crosses Square, close to Rondo de Gaulle).
Plac Konstytucji (Marszałkowska Street): The best place to see socialist architecture in Warsaw. This area was built after the war to supply affordable apartments to the Varsovians and known as MDM. By the way the Hotel located in the middle of the square is also called MDM. Especially interesting are the the gigantic street lamps.
Sejm and Senat (Ulica Wiejska 2/4/6): Built in the 20s of the last century it houses the Polish Parliament.